lunedì 18 febbraio 2013

Benvenuti a Siena and Its Amazing "cibo!"




Unsure of what to write about on my first blog for this Siena excursion or how I could cram every amazing memory I’ve made in the past few weeks into just one post, I’ve decided to narrow my topic down to the absolutely delicious Sienese cuisine. Already an avid food photographer (okay, okay, just for Instagram and Facebook) at home, I have been on top of the food photos everywhere we’ve gone from the day we arrived. One of the best ways to learn about a culture is through its cuisine, and Siena does not disappoint.
             

On our first morning in Siena before orientation, our Italian roommate Michela took us to this amazing little bar directly off of the Piazza Del Campo called “Key Largo” where we all got delicious caffellattes and pastries. The bar has a second level and through a small door off the seating area at the top is a balcony to overlook the entire city. It was a warm welcome to Siena on a cold morning, and a wonderful view to start off our trip.
             



Another one of my favorite meals so far was my first chance to try Italian pizza. Discovered at a small restaurant again off of the Piazza Del Campo, we truly found a hidden gem with wonderful pizzas and a great house wine! The pizza in Italy is a lot thinner, and the sauce and cheese are so fresh. I will never be satisfied with delivery pizza at home again after this trip.






 


Another great thing you MUST try here is the Ribollita soup (a traditional Sienese dish). It is a staple at almost all restaurants and each one adds their own personal touch. It is a warm soup with mixed vegetables, beans, bread, and spices and it is just perfect on a cold day. I haven’t tried one I haven’t liked! (And I’ve tried 3 in the 3 weeks I’ve been here!)
           






 Desserts are another wonderful treat in Siena. There are pastry shops down almost every street and each one is better than the last. You will quickly realize that the Italians LOVE their Nutella! Mini Nutella-filled croissants have been my favorite and they can be found at the Panificio Bar Pasticceria right down the street from CET. They’re a perfect snack in between classes and the women in the shop are very sweet and patient when you speak with them in Italian.
            


There are many more things I’ve had in Siena that have been delicious including pasta, salads, vegetables, chocolates, and things I’ve made up in my own kitchen that have turned out amazing. Whatever your taste buds desire there is something you’ll love waiting for you in Siena!

Madison Bedford, University of Virginia

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento