venerdì 16 dicembre 2011

Helpful Hints from a Study Abroad Veteran

Since this is my last blog, I am going to outline a few things that I think are important in choosing a study abroad program.

First, I would highly suggest that you choose a program that hosts a variety of students from different schools. Although there is definitely value in getting to know people from your own school that you did not know well before, the fact that I studied abroad with four girls with very different backgrounds and interests means there were never any dull moments. And it also means that I’ve learned a huge amount from them, a fact that derives from each one having a different outlook on life. Not only have I gained patience being around those with different beliefs than mine, but I have also learned how important it is to have an open mind about other beliefs, because you never know what kind of wisdoms you might find.

Secondly, know what you want to get out of your study abroad experience when choosing the size and location of your study abroad program. This is obviously a generalization, but from what I’ve experienced, you will have more opportunities to practice your language and will interact with fewer Americans if you study in a smaller program in a smaller city. Siena has been perfect in this sense. When I speak Italian to shopkeepers, they actual respond to me in Italian, and when I hear English-speakers on the streets during low tourist season, I am always surprised. I have then spent the past semester (when not travelling) really getting to know the people in my program, studying, learning the language, and decoding and appreciating Italian culture. However, if you are looking for a more raucous study abroad experience, I would suggest you look into larger programs in cities with a lot of nightlife. Siena does not offer a massively vibrant night-scene, but what it lacks in party atmosphere it gains in culture, safety, and true character.

Finally, I suggest that you take the time you have abroad to learn how to do things you’ve always wanted to do, but never had the time to. For example, this past semester I learned to cook—a great skill to pick up in a country with amazing cuisine. You should then think about what you would like to learn abroad before you apply to your study abroad program, taking these ambitions into account. Although I’m sure you can learn to cook amazing things in a homestay if your host-mom is willing to teach you, I chose to live in an apartment so that I could cook for myself, among other reasons. And my Italian roommates have only been too willing to teach me recipes and to share their own family food traditions. If you’ve always wanted to learn how to draw, find a program that offers a drawing class, and if you’ve always wanted to learn how to ski, look at programs near the Alps. For a lot of people, study abroad is the time to do what you want to do before beginning graduate school, a career or a family, so make the most of it!

As a side note, thanks CET for everything—I had an amazing time.

3 commenti:

  1. Eurolingua : This is very nice blog, I like this a lot. One of the best news at all. Really I need this kind of information’s.

    RispondiElimina
  2. I love to read article and blogs regarding online courses. Thanks for sharing it dear. i love to read it. go to this link

    RispondiElimina
  3. Before opting for a university it is imperative to know about the university rules and regulations.
    study abroad

    RispondiElimina