giovedì 16 dicembre 2010

And the Countdown Begins...

I came back to Siena from home last Tuesday night, where I was pleasantly surprised at the train station by all my friends here. :) We then stopped in at the grocery store and bought a few goodies to enjoy back at my apartment, since the next day was a national holiday, the Immaculate Conception, and we had no class. I was so glad to get back into my routine for a little bit and get my mind off what was going on at home.

Since it was a holiday, the resident director thought that it would be fun for us to take a leisurely trip to Florence to experience the Christmas markets there. Unfortunately for us, it was pouring cats and dogs that day and we all got soaking wet, especially me. I decided at the beginning of the semester I didn't want to buy an umbrella for whatever reason, though it would have served me well because of all the rain Tuscany gets during the fall. But anyway, despite the rain, we had a great time checking out the stands. People were selling fresh baked cookies, handmade ornaments and candles, spices, mulled wine, German sausages, beer, a
nd pretzels, clothing and scarves, and almost anything else you could think of. We walked from the Santa Croce market to another, smaller one in a different piazza, where most people sold handmade pottery, olive oil, honey, wine, and leather and wood items. Afterwards, to get out of the rain, we stopped in at the tiny handmade jewelry store I once told you about (I think I did, at least) again and of course, purchased a few more items: two bracelets for my aunts and a pair of stud earrings for myself. We quickly made it over to a cafe near the bus station, again to get out of the rain, and attempted to dry off for a bit before heading home, all the while enjoying ourselves a cup of coffee or a cappuccino. Thus concluded my last visit to Florence for a while. :(

The rest of the week I just studied, began work on a paper assignment and a few other things. But this past Saturday my apartment hosted a Christmas party for the entire program! It was 100% a success. We spent the entire day doing a full cleaning of the apartment and decorated it with garland and paper snowflakes - thoroughly cheesy. All of the students came, plus most of the Italian roommates, plus our resident director and her boyfriend! We asked each apartment to bring something to share (a dessert or drink) and we provided gingerbread, eggnog (made by hand), red wine, and bread and cheese/cheese dip. We played Christmas carols in the background and had a Yankee swap for those that wanted to participate. All in all it was a great night and we hope that everyone had as much fun as we did.

Finally, this week is my last week here in Siena. I'm sitting here writing this right now because I want to procrastinate a bit more before taking my Sienese art exam. I don't think cramming right before an exam helps much, so I'd rather write a little to you guys. I just took my Italian exam this morning and have my oral tomorrow, plus another art history exam. In the midst of studying for exams, I've been packing, purchasing last minute gifts, and just spending time with everyone. I cannot believe that time is up. Even though I'm sad that I have to leave Siena and my friends here, I'll always keep this place close at heart. It's such a wonderful small city, and I really hope to make it back here some day in the future. I'm really going to miss this place!!

Time to go finishi this last paper and study a bit before I'm home free tomorrow and headin' out Frday! It's been great being able to write this blog and keep you up to date with everything going on here in Siena. I strongly recommend coming to see it!

Ciao a tutti!

Melanie Bianco

CET Siena, Student Correspondent

Fall 2010

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento