martedì 27 ottobre 2009

Now about halfway through my semester in Italy, things have begun to slow down a bit and I have had more time to reflect on what I have seen and experienced, and what still lies ahead of me. With the winter weather upon us, I could not help but wish that I had spent more time outdoors while it was so gloriously warm in September and early October. I have never been a winter person, leaving my hometown of Boston for the more temperate weather of Nashville. Maybe it's the short walks to and from class that make the cold feel more bearable, but I have a feeling I might make it through this winter with a smile on my face.
I have come to appreciate the crisp, cold winter air and find a little hop in my step when I bury my nose into my winter scarf and dig my gloved fingers deep into my pockets. Despite the numerous rainy days Siena has seen, I have managed to see the positives in the dreary weather by the excitement of getting use out of the wellies I dragged all the way from United States, or the long black rain jacked my mother lent me for Italy and which now reminds me of her every time I put it on.
Before coming to Siena, I was told about a secret place where one could find refuge on cold winter nights, but also peace and new friends in the fall. Without giving away this place's identity, for it is best appreciated when one either hears about it from a friend or stumbles upon it independently, I will say that this hideaway, nestled sweetly in a corner of Siena, is on the city's most spectacular assets and truly embodies what is most special about Siena: it has the feeling of familiarity and comfort - even on your first visit - a social, friendly and energetic atmosphere, and tasty treats constantly awaiting your purchase. This magical place has also become my program-mates and my number one winter survival tactic.
There is still so much to see in Siena and Italy. Now that the warm days of fall are behind me, I must learn the importance of layering and perhaps giving in more frequently to a warm cappuccino between classes. I guess Joni Mitchell knew what she was talking about when she sang "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone." With still a month and a half left, my time in Italy is definitely not yet gone. But with a month and a half already past, I am realizing how important it is to make every day count.

Carey Spitzer
CET Siena Student Correspondent

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento